I received the following in one of those mass emails, via my Mother. Although I usually don’t pay much attention to this type of email, this one actually makes sense. Something really does need to be done about the above-the-law and the better than everyone else attitude that the American government has.
After the federal budget debt is resolved, with enough public support, this could be another important step in Washington.
Congressional Reform Act of 2011
I have totally cleaned this e-mail from all other names, sending it to you in hopes you will keep it going and keep it clean. This is something I will fight for and I hope you all read it all the way through. You will be glad you did.
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971…before computers, before e-mail, before cell phones, etc.
Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land…all because of public pressure.
I’m asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.
In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.
Congressional Reform Act of 2011
- No Tenure / No Pension.
- A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.
- Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.
- All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
- Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
- Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise.
- Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%. Take note that Disabled American Veterans, who have been willing to put their life in harms way for their Country, have not been given a pay raise in three years. However, Congress has gotten a raise each year. Many of our Congress men and women have never served a day in the Armed Forces. Does that seem right? (NO, they should not have a cost of living or 3% increase yearly. Congress is trying to get Social Security cost of living revoked. If the older Americans can do without a raise, Congress surely can since they make about 4 times what the average person on Social Security makes. If Social Security gets a raise, Congress gets a raise.)
- Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
- Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
- All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work
If EACH person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S. ) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.
THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!!
If you agree with the above, pass it on.. If not, just delete.
I wanted to add this thought. Even the Queen of England served in the military.